The Pillory In Shanklin Old Village
Photograph - Digital Photography
A view of the pillory in the Old Village of Shanklin, Isle of Wight, England.
A pillory was a device used for punishment or public humiliation of petty criminals in Medieval times and was related to the Stocks. The pillory was constructed with a wooden or metal framework and had hinged wooden boards with holes for the head and hands. The offender would be forced to stand, bent forward with their head and hands through the holes when the boards were locked in place.
Pillories were often located in marketplaces, crossroads or other public places, to increase public visibility and for greater humiliation of the offender. The punishment would normally last for a few hours, but during that time the offender would be subjected to verbal abuse and could be pelted with rotten fruit or any dirty or dangerous objects.
The pillory was finally abolished as a form of punishment in England and Wales in 1837.
Image Ref: 32518-RDA
October 26th, 2016
Viewed 11 Times - Last Visitor from Burton On Trent, Staffordshire - United Kingdom on 05/06/2017 at 2:56 PM