Tavira Portugal The Old Market
Painting - Gouache
Two small boats on the river..."Beautiful empty beaches with sands that seem to go on forever. Fields of orange trees, heavy with the scent of blossom. Then the hills of fig and almond trees and houses with dazzling whitewashed walls and distinctive chimneys decorated to resemble fine tracery of lace. And, last of all, the great open spaces. This is just a hint of the charms of Tavira and its municipality, an invitation to come and find out more.
Tavira along with Lagos is one of the most architecturally attractive towns in the Algarve and its origin dates back to around 2.000 BC. During the occupation of the Algarve by the Moors this town was considered of great importance due to its fishing industry.
Like most of the Algarve its buildings were all virtually destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. The town has since been rebuilt with many fine 18th Century fine buildings along with its 37 churches A Roman bridge links the two parts of the town across the River Gil�o. Its original economic reliance on the fishing industry has now been surpassed due to the change in the migration patterns of the tuna fish. The population is in the region of 20,000 inhabitants supporting a military base whilst the surrounding area is still very rural and undeveloped. This is now changing due to the demands of the tourist industry and opening of golf courses in the near vicinity.
April 27th, 2009
Viewed 679 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 08/06/2020 at 1:09 PM