A La Ronde Near Lympstone - Exmouth
Photograph - Digital Photography
A la Ronde near Lympstone, Exmouth in Devon England. This 16-sided house with an ornamental roof was built for two unmarried cousins, Jane and Mary Parminter in the 1790s. The inspiration for the house is believed to have come from the octagonal basilica of San Vitale at Ravenna, following a tour of the Continent by the cousins.
The layout of A la Ronde, with its numerous windows and internal reflective surfaces inside the windows, was designed to make the maximum use of the available daylight as the direction of the sunshine moved around the house. The property remained in the ownership of the Parminter family for the next two centuries. It was first opened to visitors in 1935, then in 1991 with the aid of a grant; the property was purchased by the National Trust.
Image Ref: 55544-RDA
October 31st, 2018
Viewed 10 Times - Last Visitor from Beijing, 22 - China on 12/19/2018 at 7:41 PM