I am a flâneur. There is no accurate English translation, but literally it would be something like “idler or loafer”. Charles Baudelaire, an 1800s French poet associated with the Impressionism art movement, described me long before I was born something like this: “For the perfect flâneur, for the passionate spectator, it is an immense joy to set up house in the heart of the multitude, amid the ebb and flow of movement, in the midst of the fugitive and the infinite. To be away from home and yet to feel oneself everywhere at home; to see the world, to be at the center of the world, and yet to remain hidden from the world—such are a few of the slightest pleasures of those independent, passionate, impartial natures which the tongue can but clumsily define”.
I am also an introvert and my photography (as well as my writing and other art forms) allow me to express myself and communicate without intrusion. I am not asocial as one might suspect, but my photography, art and writing does offer me more time and depth in communicating with others than normal… and I prefer that.
My first recollection of photography dates from the late 1950’s, when my father had a peculiar room in the house with the odd smell of chemicals in brown bottles. The next recollections of photography come from a few surviving photos I took in the early 1960s of friends, family, and things important to me at the moment. In the early 1970s my stepfather loaned me an Argus C3 and from that time on, photography has an essential part of my life.
The photographic techniques I use depend upon my response to a subject and the technique I think will interpret that response. This has led to a varied usage of film, digital and graphic arts photographic techniques over the years.
- Born: Tacoma, WA, 1950
- Degree In Commercial Photography
- Studies Continue With Various Photographers, Workshops, Classes and Lectures
- Travels: Western Europe, Kenya, China, Iceland, Patagonia, Mexico, Bali, Morocco, Amazonia, West Indies, Prague, Croatia, Turkey, Montenegro, Argentina, Japan, Thailand, Bhutan, Australia, Papua New Guinea
SELECTED PAST SHOWS:
- 1990, Marketplace Photo; Seattle, WA
- 1991, Chandler Fine Arts; Seattle, WA
- 1992, The Art Of Craft, The Bob Marche; Seattle, WA
- 1993, Upper Gallery; Bremerton, WA
- 1993, Seattle Art Museum Photography Council Members' Exhibition
- 1993, Moss Bay Gallery; Kirkland, WA
- 1994, Seattle Art Museum Photography Council Members' Exhibition
- 1994, AIA Seattle; Seattle, WA
- 1995, Benham Studio / Gallery; Seattle, WA
- 1997, Photographic Image Gallery; Portland, OR
SELECTED PAST AWARDS:
- 1990, Anacortes Art Festival
- 1990, Mercer Island Art Festival
- 1990, North Kitsap Arts & Crafts Show
- 1990, Sidney Museum & Arts Assoc., 20th Annual May Show
- 1991, Mercer Island Art Festival
- 1995, Ocean Shores Art Festival
SELECTED CORPORATE & PRIVATE COLLECTIONS:
- Useful Products
- Myrvang Architects
- Boeing Corporation
- Franciscan Health Care Services
- Puget Sound Private Banking
Travel-Holiday; The Rangefinder; Delta Sky; Endless Vacation; Yacht Vacations; America West; Gulfshore Life; Woman’s World; Diversion; Mature Outlook; Outdoor Photographer; Southern Boating; Petersen's Photographic; Flying Pig Adventures (my own writings and photography. If you would like to subscribe, send me a note with your eMail address and I will send you a link to do so).
Wally Hampton joined Pixels.com Licensing on June 20th, 2014.