Painting - Oil On Canvas
The remains of the Winchester are located in 28 feet of water at the northern end of Pennekamp Park, southeast of Carysfort LIghthouse on a direct line between the lighthouse and the Elbow formation.
Records indicated that the 934 ton ship had 60 guns and was therefore a fourth-rate ship-of-the-line. It was launched on April 1693, and the ship was 146 feet long, had a beam of 38 feet, and it housed a crew of 285.
The Winchester was part of a West India Squadron that set sail from England on January 23, 1695, and escorted 19 ships to Madeira Island, off of Africa's west coast, and the Lesser Antilles.
After dropping off the escort ships, the squadron sailed for Santo Domingo in April and landed 150 soldiers who went to Haiti to fight the French. In July the squadron sailed to Port Royal, Jamaica, where it remained until September 3.
Original oil painting done by William Trotter.
March 20th, 2020
Viewed 99 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 05/27/2020 at 3:06 PM