The Old Well - #2
Photograph - Photography
The Old Well at UNC was first drilled in 1795, placing it at the center of campus life and tradition. The university spiced up the Old Well in 1897 placing a neoclassical structure, over the well. UNC registrar, Eugene Lewis Harris, designed the Old Well structure, drawing inspiration from Versailles' Temple of Love. A fountain capped the well in 1925. The original structure was razed in 1954 and replaced with a permanent replica structure.
Students line up at the well for a good luck drink prior to the start of classes each semester. Tradition holds a drink prior to classes will bring good grades--well, that and plenty of hard work.
May 20th, 2019
Viewed 216 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 07/30/2020 at 12:35 AM