Shop millions of independent artists. Independent. Together.
The Anchor The Crown And Lillies And The Cross
Photograph - Photograph
Worship at St. Ann�s began in a pine grove near the present site of the Kennebunkport Inn in 1883. Services were led by The Rev. George J. Prescott of Boston, who was assisted by the Rev. John A. Bevington of Wareham, MA. Two years later, the construction of a church was proposed by Mrs. Frank G. Ilsley of New Jersey, and a conceptual drawing was made by Henry Paston Clark (1853-1927), a Boston architect who had designed many of the shingle homes in the area. Funds were raised and the cornerstone laid on August 22, 1887 on a site donated by the Kennebunkport Seashore Company. The church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Henry Adams Neely, DD, Bishop of Maine on August 24, 1892, and has been in continuous use as a summer chapel since that date. It is one of 18 historic summer chapels in the Diocese of Maine.
The Stained Glass Windows
There are twenty-five stained glass windows in the church proper and an additional six located in the sacristy, many dating from the turn-of-the-century. Of particular note is the trio of windows on the north transept wall, given in memory of Samuel Howell Jones, Jr. and Rees Lockwood Jones. The anchor, crown and lilies, and cross subjects feature shells and glass �jewels� in the design. They were reputed to have been produced in the studios of Louis Comfort Tiffany, but later thought to be the work of Walter Cole Bingham who also worked in New York City and was known to incorporate shells in his windows.
November 20th, 2014
Viewed 390 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 05/20/2022 at 1:59 PM