Savannahs Independent Presbyterian Church
Tom Gari Gallery-Three-Photography
Photograph - Photography
Savannah’s Independent Presbyterian Church, organized in 1755, is known as the mother church of Georgia’s Presbyterians. The original church was built on land granted by King George II who wanted it used to build a house of worship according to the Doctrine of the Church of Scotland.
In 1816, the wealthy congregation decided to build a new church and hired John Holden Greene to design and build it for them.
During the Civil War, Union chaplain George Pepper described the Independent Presbyterian Church as easily the finest structure he had ever seen. Although completely destroyed by fire in 1889, it was replaced by an exact duplicate two years later. The interior remains very much as it did when it was rebuilt and rededicated in 1891. The marble baptism font, which was brought to Savannah from New Jersey, survived the fire of 1889 and is still used in the church today.
Also, the church was seen in the opening of the movie "Forest Gump." The white feather falling from the sky passes by the tall steeple of the Independent Presbyterian Church.
July 22nd, 2018
Viewed 102 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/13/2019 at 10:50 PM