Salem Village Meeting House - 1672
Jason O Watson
Photograph - Digital Photograph
SALEM VILLAGE MEETING HOUSE - 1672
Directly across from this site was located the original Salem Village Meeting House where civil and military meetings were held, and ministers including George Burroughs, Deodat Lawson, and Samuel Parris preached.
The infamous 1692 witchcraft hysteria began in this neighborhood. On March 1 accused witches Sarah Good, Sarah Osburn, and Tituba were interrogated in the Meeting House amidst the horrific fits of the �afflicted ones.� Thereafter numerous others were examined including Martha Cory, Rebecca Nurse, Bridget Bishop, Giles Cory, and Mary Esty. Many dire, as well as heroic deeds transpired in the Meeting House.
In 1702 the Meeting House was abandoned, dismantled and removed to this site until the lumber �decayed and became mixed with the soil.�
In 1992 a memorial was erected here to honor the witchcraft victims, and to remind us that we must forever confront intolerance and �witch-hunts� with integrity, clear vision, and courage.
Danvers Preservation Commission, 1992
May 26th, 2015
Viewed 54 Times - Last Visitor from Cupertino, CA on 09/25/2021 at 7:22 PM