Shop millions of independent artists. Independent. Together.
Robert Moses Tower
In 1825, the federal government took the westerly tip to construct a lighthouse and David Sammis purchased about 120 acres to the east in 1855 and built the Surf Hotel. The fears of a cholera epidemic spread by passengers on ships arriving in New York prompted the state to acquire the hotel property to establish a quarantine station in 1892. Then, the state established the Long Island State Park Commission in 1924 which headed by “master builder” Robert Moses as part of a statewide park and parkway program, also run by Moses. The commission obtained from the federal government four miles of beach west of the lighthouse that had been formed by shifting sand. Robert Moses Causeway opened and the park was renamed for Moses when ferry service was maintained from Babylon to the park until 1964.
March 3rd, 2015
Viewed 99 Times - Last Visitor from Dublin, 07 - Ireland on 09/30/2022 at 2:33 AM