Mission San Diego De Alcala
Photograph - Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till
Known as the "Mother of the Missions," San Diego Mission Church (San Diego de Alcala), a National Historic Landmark, was the first of 21 Spanish missions established, in part, by Father Junipero Serra. By 1797 the mission had become the largest in California.
After the Mexican government secularized the mission in 1834, the buildings were abandoned until 1846, when they were occupied by the U.S. Cavalry. In 1862, by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln, the mission was returned to church ownership and was used as an Indian school from 1887-1907. The buildings were reconstructed during the 1940s.
This active Roman Catholic Church of the diocese of San Diego, properly referred to as the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá, overlooks San Diego's historic Old Town. It is well worth a visit.
March 28th, 2015
Viewed 1,666 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 12/10/2018 at 5:11 AM