Shop millions of independent artists. Independent. Together.
Independent Presbyterian Church, Savannah Georgia
Painting - Watercolor On Paper
The complex courtyard gate fronts on Oglethorpe Street.
This rests upon the third site in Savannah to hold the Independent Presbyterian Church’s congregation. Neither fires, ever increasing membership nor a hurricane have deterred them from their moving, repairing or rebuilding their home of worship. Their membership reads like a “Who’s Who” of more than just Savannah. President Woodrow Wilson was married here in 1885.
From the severe gray stone, through the manicured area past the fountain and up the curved stairs, this is regally set back and imposing in a city where most property sits not far in from (and sometimes abuts) the sidewalk. The edifice was originally designed by John Holden Green in 1817. A spectacular fire which destroyed much in Savannah in 1889 created the need for a rebuilding, which was supervised by William G. Preston in 1891.
Col. Richard O. Stewart (Ret.), kirk archivist, passes on an interesting story:
“There was a movie called “A Man named Mudd” with Dennis Weaver which was partially filmed here in Savannah a number of years ago. Mudd, as you may remember, was the doctor who treated President Lincoln’s assassin. There is an unsubstantiated report that the scene where his (Mudd’s) mother is looking through the gate at the White House is actually our gate, and could be believable having seen (this) watercolor.”
March 6th, 2021
Viewed 200 Times - Last Visitor from La Vergne, TN on 10/02/2022 at 3:10 PM