Fossil Creek Falls
Photograph - Photography
According to the Coconino National Forest "The Old Fossil Creek Dam was a diversion dam that routed water from Fossil Springs to the Irving-Childs power facilities via a flume that ran much of the length of the canyon. The power facilities were originally built around 1912, and provided power to nearby mining facilities and communities."
"Between 2005 and 2008, Arizona Public Service (APS) decommissioned and removed most of the power facilities' structures. Partially removing the diversion dam allowed Fossil Creek to once again flow free, earning it the special designation by Congress of "Wild and Scenic River" in 2009.
What remains of the diversion dam is now known as the Fossil Creek Waterfall or Fossil Creek Falls. It has become a popular recreation area with swimming holes, caves and grottos.
August 9th, 2021
Viewed 25 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 12/06/2021 at 12:18 AM