Fort Moultrie Sc Battery Jasper Door
Fort Moultrie, SC Battery Jasper
Battery Jasper was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10 inch coastal gun battery. Construction started in 1897 and was completed in 1898 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 4 May 1898 at a cost of $238,100.00. It was deactivated in 1942.
Fort Moultrie dates back to 1776, but a brick fort dates to 1809. Most of that was destroyed during the Civil War. It was rebuilt in the 1870s and became a dominant seacoast fort. It closed in 1960. The brick fort is now part of the Fort Sumter National Monument while most of the other buildings were sold off and are now private homes.
June 4th, 2018
Viewed 4 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 06/06/2018 at 7:41 PM