Photograph - Photography
The Hunting Island Lighthouse in located on Hunting Island, South Carolina in the Hunting Island state Park. It is one of two made with a segmented cast-iron design in the United States, the other being the Cape Canaveral Iighthouse in Florida. The segments are bolted together and lined with brick for structural strength. This design allows them to be more easily moved when threatened by erosion or other factors.
This 136 foot conical tower with a second-order Fresnel lens, was visible for 17 miles when in use. It replaced a light built in 1859 but destroyed in 1862 during the American Civil War.
The current strusture was started in 1873 and completed in 1875 on the north end of the island. In 1888 it was thretened with erosion and moved to its current location in 1889. It was deactivated in 1933 and is no longer in use. It is in the National Register of Historical Places.
May 13th, 2020
Viewed 122 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 09/15/2021 at 11:19 AM