El Escorial Coutyard Statuary - Madrid
Photograph - Photographs
The Escorial is a vast building complex located in San Lorenzo de El Escorial, near Madrid, in central Spain.
The building is the most important architectural monument of the Spanish Renaissance. Construction of El Escorial began in 1563 and ended in 1584.
The project was conceived by King Philip II, who wanted a building to serve the multiple purposes of a burial place for his father, Holy Roman emperor Charles V; a Hieronymite monastery; and a palace.
El Escorial Monastery
The first architect, Juan Bautista de Toledo, designed the ground plan on a gridiron scheme, recalling the grill on which San Lorenzo, the patron of the building, was martyred.
After Toledo’s death, Juan de Herrera took up work on the project. Although Herrera was influenced by the styles of Sebastiano Serlio and Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola, the final product was uniquely Spanish.
The building complex, severe in its lines, has four principal stories with large towers at each corner.
Arranged within a quadrangle, the buildings include:
the church (1582);
the monastery, royal palace, and college (1584);
and the library (1594)
Here we see the courtyard statuary.
This image is Featured in the following FAA Groups;
Your Story of Art//
Veteran Active and Former Military Artists//
February 18th, 2020
Viewed 93 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 05/31/2020 at 8:14 AM