Charleston South Carolina Faber House On East Bay Street
635 East Bay Street (Faber House a/k/a Ward House a/k/a Faber Ward House)
Scope & Content The Faber House, what may be called Charlestons most conscientiously Palladian residence, has been severely altered during its existence as a single family dwelling, a post-Civil War hotel, and an apartment house of varying quality. With the exception of some remaining plaster work typical of the late classical revival on its interior, little remains in the way of features to the principal rooms; the marble mantels, silver-plated pewter hardware on the doors, and much of the mahogany trim were removed when the house was vandalized in the 1930s. Its clapboard stories above the high brick basement, the soaring 2-story Ionic portico, its semi-octagonal wings, and the high cupola topping the gable roof still carry the impression of the great waterfront dwelling it formerly was. Purchased by Historic Charleston Foundation in 1964 and later sold and restored. (Source: Architectural Guide to Charleston.) Also referred to as the John Joshua Ward House; also referred to as 631 East Bay Street.
The Faber-Ward House is a historic three-story home in Charleston, South Carolina. Henry F. Faber built the house about 1832 in a Palladian style reminiscent of Southern plantations. The house was converted into a hotel for blacks after the Civil War and then a middle-class residence. In 1964, the Historic Charleston Foundation bought the house and undertook a restoration of the then-abandoned building. On the night of June 23, 1969, the house suffered fire damage when a street flare was taken from a nearby road construction project and thrown through a first floor window; Charleston was experiencing widespread civil unrest at the time with racial protests occurring at several locations and several reports of vandalism
August 27th, 2018
Viewed 40 Times - Last Visitor from Romeo, MI on 09/15/2019 at 4:32 PM