Boone Hall Plantation
Photograph - Photography Painterly
"Boone Hall Plantation" by Catherine Sherman.
The historic "Avenue of Oaks,"a nearly one-mile (1.6 km) drive, leads to Boone Hall Plantation and Gardens house with live oaks on either side in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. The trees were were planted in 1743. On the left are slave cabins, now museum rooms.
Boone Hall Plantation and Gardens is an antebellum plantation, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It sits on Wampacheeoone Creek in Christ Church Parish about 10 miles (16 km) from historic downtown Charleston.
Boone Hall Plantation is one of America's oldest still working plantations, continually growing crops for over 320 years.
The earliest known reference to the site is of 1681. The land grant of 470 acres (1.9 km2) was given by Theophilus Patey as a wedding present to his daughter, Elizabeth, and Major John Boone. The original wooden house was constructed in 1790. The house that stands now was built by Thomas Stone, a Canadian who purchased the land in the early 20th century.
Featured in "Philanthropic Artists for a Cause" group (03/29/2017)
March 18th, 2015
Viewed 137 Times - Last Visitor from Cupertino, CA on 09/04/2020 at 1:32 AM