Aztec Theater San Antonio
Photograph - Fine Art Photography
Built in 1926, the Aztec Theatre is a notable example of the impressive exotic-theme motion picture palaces constructed in the United States during the economic boom of the 1920s. The Kellwood Corporation, owned by Robert Bertrum Kelly (the architect on record) and H.C. Woods, constructed the theater in 1926 with the financial backing of Commerce Reality at a cost of $1.75 million.
The Aztec Theatre was part of the Theater district that included the Empire (1914), the Texas (1926), the Majestic (1929), and the Alameda (1949).
Though the theater remained highly popular for many decades, by the 1970s, it was in decline. It was cut into three auditoriums as the Aztec Triplex, but this only slowed the eventual. In 1989, the Aztec closed. Since October 1992, the theatre has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places, which helped save it from demolition.
Based on San Antonio's Riverwalk, the new Aztec Theatre re-opened in August 2009 as a concert venue. San Antonio Rose Live was a two-hour live show featuring traditional country, western swing, and gospel music. Featuring the San Antonio Rose Live Band composed of 9 world-class musicians from Nashville, Branson, Austin and San Antonio. This show closed in February 2012 due to "the current and future economic circumstances".
The Aztec Theatre was leased in September 2013. The new leaseholders are turning the theatre into a multi-purpose event center, which will host public and private functions, as well as provide a venue for musical acts.
Photograph made with an infrared converted Nikon Z7.
Copyright (c) 2019 Norman Gabitzsch. All Rights Reserved.
Featured Artwork in:
No Place Like Home - January 2020
January 9th, 2020
Viewed 687 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 09/17/2020 at 10:39 AM