All Saints Church Marlow
The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, was built on the site of an earlier one which was demolished in 1832. The date of erection of the old Church is obscure, but records show that a Church existed here at least as early as 1070 A.D. when Saint Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, visited the town. There has been a bridge across the Thames at Marlow since before 1227. The present bridge was built between 1829 and 1832 to replace the wooden bridge sited further downstream, which had grown inadequate for the growing traffic on the Reading and Hatfield Turnpike road. It eventually collapsed in 1828. William Tierney Clark FRS MICE (1783-1852) was appointed to design a new bridge and supervise its construction.
August 3rd, 2019
Viewed 146 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 01/25/2022 at 8:14 PM