James B Toy
Photograph - Digital
NOTE: The logo watermark will not appear on purchased products.
A view across Monterey Bay from Del Monte Beach near the Monterey-Seaside border as seen in July 2005. The cross on the left was erected in 1969 on the 200th anniversary of the Portola-Crespi overland expedition. In 1769 Portola's men erected a cross to signal their supply ship which, unbeknownst to them, was lost at sea. Buried by their cross was a message for the ship indicating that the expedition had (according to their belief) failed to find Monterey Bay (which was right in front of them!) and they were returning to San Diego.
In 2009 the cross was toppled by vandals. When the city of Monterey attempted to repair it the ACLU threatened to sue the city if it was repaired on the grounds that it violated the principle of separation of church and state. The city backed down and as of now only a concrete pedestal and an explanatory plaque remains.
In the background a summer fog bank drifts in over the hills of Monterey. The large shiny object on the waterline is the metal roof of the fish processing plant at the end of the Municipal Wharf.
Photo Copyright James B. Toy.
April 6th, 2016
Viewed 126 Times - Last Visitor from Seaside, CA on 04/05/2017 at 8:53 PM